Friday, November 12, 2010

Old English Scratch Cover

oesc I just posted about using Old English scratch cover to darken all the furniture I’ve refinished instead of stain and I was surprised to get questions asking about it.
Yes, it is in the cleaning isle with the other “dusting” products.
You just wipe in on and wala! Dark! No stanky smells like the stain and your piece is ready right then and there. Decorate NOW! :)
I keep a basket in my laundry room with all the shades of it, a pair of yellow rubber gloves, and a baggie full of used rags. I never throw away my “wet” rags because they hold the oil/color and can be used again and again.
I like to paint with a flat black. Distress and sand and then finish the piece with a wipe down of old english. Usually the dark is my choice. It’s great on large and small pieces. I use it on anything and everything that needs antiqued.
Here are some pieces I have finished in black then Old English. None of them are actually shiny. It’s the flash.
Sconces.
0908100001
Lamp         0908100053
Cabinet0908100037   0909090062
Bread boards     0909090067 
Washstand  
0909090107 0909090108 
Try it. You’ll like it!
Until next time…
Carmen and the Primcats

14 comments:

Lorna/Live Oak Primitive Peddler said...

Hi Carmen, you have some beautiful pieces!! Great job on the finishing. Thanks for the tip on the Old English. I used it years ago but hadn't thought of it until you last post. I love the look of all your stuff, I'll have to give it a try again.
Have a great day!!
Blessings,
Lorna

Carmen S. said...

What a GREAT idea Carmen!!!I may have to try this instead of my brown shoe polish next time:D

The Eveningstitcher said...

I used to use Olde English just to give my furniture a good moisterizing treatment twice a year, but I never thought of primming it up using the dark oil. GREAT IDEA!!! I had been using the Breewax, but I think this is much easier, cheaper and NO spell! I love your furniture and your post on the pie safes....I have yet to fine the "perfect pie-safe"...well..at least in my price range! You have a great blog!

At Home With Amy said...

Thanks for the tip Carmen. I like to stencil signs and then distress them and then wipe dark walnut minwax stain on them . Do you think this would work just the same or better?
Thanks,
AMY

Ann said...

Carmen, Thanks for sharing that information. I just got home from Walmart - have to add it to my next shopping trip. I think I might even have a coupon! Have a good weekend. ~Ann

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Are there different shades? I will have to look next time I'm shopping. This will work great in the winter since I can't rely on warm weather to dry my stain. :)

Carmen and the Primcats said...

You are all welcome!

Amy - Yes... this will work on your signs! I have primmed signs with it. You can do multiple coats to ge tit darker, just let it dry between.

Kindra - My post was a little misleading. It comes in light and dark. But it will give you differnt colors on different kinds of woods just like stain.

Another thing I use it on a lot... baskets! It prims up a new basket in seconds!!!!

acorn hollow said...

I have used old english since I was married. Rember the really cool dark pine furniture???jk it was cool then. Thank you for becoming a follower.
Cathy

Carmen and the Primcats said...

http://www.oldenglishpolish.com/sf2_scratch.shtml

adsgram said...

I see the stock on Wall St for Old English going up as we speak, but the stock on the shelves will be dwindling....glad I already have mine.

Firecracker Kid said...

Okay Carmen. off to the cleaning isle I send my hubby! Thanks for sharing that info luv. Your woodcrafts look so nice:)
Hugs~Carol

Carmen and the Primcats said...

Wow. I didn't expect such a response on this!

Carol - What a compliment coming from you - a master wood crafter that I envy so!!!! :) Thanks! Hope you like using it! It's great!

Tonya said...

Thanks for posting such a great tip! I'll have to give it a try too.

My Primitive Creations by Tonya said...

An Added little comment from PrimCats Mom and My Primitive Creations by Tonya. You can also use the Old English Dark Scratch Cover to Stain Labels and Homespun scraps, Wood Clothes Pins, Wood Spools and etc. So remember to use gloves, wipe off with a lint free rag and Let Dry a few minutes. If you want a darker color you can then reapply. The nicest part about useing the Old English is it seals the wood so you can damp wipe it with no ill affects to the color of your wood. When your wood looks dull just give it a whole new coat of Old English. Everything I create to sell is aged with Old English Dark Scratch Cover.