Saturday, March 23, 2013

Caturday ~ Feline Nutrition Q&A 2

Hi Friends,

Welcome back to another Caturday with the Primcats!

caturday_morning[3]

I hope you have been enjoying learning about feline nutrition. I am really enjoying all the interest and questions I have been getting. Keep them coming!

Lets talk about food safety this week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is Raw meat safe for my cat to eat?

Absolutely! If it weren't the entire feline species would be extinct.

Think of a lion, a tiger, a panther, a bobcat… would you feed them anything other than the animals they spend their lives hunting. Domestic housecats are just mini big cats. Everything from their pointy carnivorous teeth to their digestive tract is designed the same a their larger counterparts. Cats, both big and small, were designed by nature to derive their nutrition from only animal based protein.

Of course you need to follow safe meat handling procedures, just as you would with preparing your own meat dinners, but raw meat is what nature intended cats to eat and they are designed to digest it raw with little to no danger.

I have been feeding raw for years and never had a cat suffer any negative side effects from it. I have never had a cat get worms or parasites from meat, and I have never had a cat suffer from salmonella either. Furthermore, in all my sharing with hundreds of other raw feeders I have never once heard of another raw feeder having to deal with any of those issues. In speaking with my vet he has not been able to personally confirm any cases of either worms or salmonella from raw meat fed to a cat.
 
In fact I have only seen improvements in all aspects of their lives. Every cat I have ever transitioned to raw has had their over all health improve, from curing something as life threatening as IBD, and urinary tract problems to something as simple as creating the most beautiful coat you have ever laid eyes.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Should I be worried about Salmonella or E-Coli?

Salmonella? Ecoli? I won’t tell you that it could never happen, but I don’t know a single raw feeder that has ever had it happen or had it happen to anyone they know. I also don’t know any vets that have ever seen it or had it happen. Of course you need to follow safe meat handling procedures, just as you would with preparing your own meat dinners, but raw meat is what nature intended cats to eat and they are designed to digest it raw with no danger. Even their digestive tracts were designed shorter than other animals so that food borne illnesses do not have time to take effect in them.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nutrition is the key to good health… no matter what living being you are. So feeding your cat what nature intended it to eat is the first step in giving your cat the best chance you can at a long healthy life. Now… if only I could learn to follow this advice for myself and eat as healthy as my cats do!

Until nest time…

Carmen and the Primcats

2 comments:

Trace4J said...

What a wonderful mama you are to your furry kids.
Yes I wish I could eat healthy too.
Woolie hugs

Jan - Life on Buttermilk Hill said...

I wish all animals were as loved as your cats...and Holly...are! Couldn't leave her out, now could I? :) ----Jan