Friday, May 4, 2012

Almost planting time...

Hi Peeps! 

How are you all doing? 

Me? Fantastic! Busy... very busy. Doing this and that but then a whole bunch of nothing. LOL! I know you know what I mean. 

I came across this picture on facebook... and I just HAD to share. Loved it! 



I can't wait for to get some food in the ground. The weather is warming fast and I think it's safe to put some things in the beds now. 

Here are our beds back in 2008 when we built them...


And here they are in 2010 filled with yummy food!

(Yes, that's the cat enclosure in the background.) 




However... after 4 years of weathering my beds need some major work. The 4x4 corner posts that held my raised beds together in the corners have split. Recommendation... cap your posts! ;o) Lesson learned. If I would have capped the posts this never would have happened. The side pieces are fine. So since they need major repairs we have even decided to move and expand this year. I am not exactly sure of my plan yet so I'm going to go ahead and plant these beds for now... and I'll keep you updated on our expansion when it starts. :) 

So... back to the point of this post... rage against the machine and get out there and plant something to eat! Even if it's just tomato plant in a bucket... that's all it takes! 

Until next time... 

Carmen and the Primcats

10 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Hi Carmen, great raised beds, thanks for the tip. Love the cat bacyard fence, they must love being outdoors. Wishing you a good weekend, Blessings Francine.

Trace4J said...

I love growing my own food.
I have been growing my tomatoes,squash,cukes and peppers upstairs in a little greenhouse.
Im so excited to put them in the ground.
I like to also grow things in old buckets and boots.
Just plain old fun.
Looks like you have a green thumb too.
Hugs
Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Good Morning Carmen! I started my garden plants indoors from seeds this year and they are doing amazingly well. Can't wait to get the plants in the ground. For a family of 5 we have a huge garden and I do alot of canning. Last year I canned a few different things. pizza sauce, and spaghetti sauce since we use alot of these. They turned out well. I always can a couple batches of salsa and my usual tomatoes, pickles, etc. Thanks for sharing your garden. have a wonderful weekend!

The Moonlit Stitch said...

Love your cat area Carmen! Your raised beds are great. I want to add another this year and try growing tomatoes in a 2 liter pop bottle. Hope it warms up here soon. Have a fun weekend ~*~Lisa

My Colonial Home said...

Good for you Carmen...I so envy anyone who can plant and GROW food...we can't here...too many Black Walnut trees around plus too much shade...so we rely on our good ole Farmer's Market downtown...which the first one was last night and we missed it!!!!

Karen

Carmen S. said...

I love gardening and LOVE my raised beds:) The way our government is going and what they are doing to farmers, even the Amish and thier raw milk I fear the day may come when we won't be *allowed* to garden, ,makes me sick, we are losing all our freedoms to Tyranny! I've actually planted tomatoes in buckets before and it worked really well;)

Holly said...

How inspiring you are. Love the pics. of your beds. I have never actually planted anything except when I lived at home and helped my dad in the garden. Where I live now, we don't have a great spot, but a bucket is a good idea! Have a great day and weekend!

Lois Christensen said...

Working on our garden! We haven't planted in 2 years so we're excited to do one this year! Enjoyed your pictures!

bettyj said...

Nothing taste better than something you have grown yourself. I don't have a garden anymore.I will bu some fresh stuff and put it up.Good luck

Fran. said...

Hi Carmen!! I am so excited this will be my first year doing a raised garden bed!! I will also have some in some containers too! Just waitin til the end of the month to plant!! I live in Michigan and you just never know!! LOL Can't wait to see your new ones and what you plant!! XOXO Fran.