Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pfaltzgraff Stoneware & Pottery

As we all have experienced our homes evolve and change over time and Primcats House is no exception. I am always tweaking things and changing up the decor. Sometimes I don’t even realize how much I tweak because I do it everyday without much thought to it. A little move here, a knick-knack there, I rarely even think about it. Lately though I have had a lot of conscious changes taking place.
Folk Art
A few weeks ago, as I admired every ones beautiful Pfaltzgraff Folk Art collections I really fell in love with the look and I decided it was time for a change in my own dishes and serving pieces. I have always been a HUGE Pfaltzgraff Collector and admire the pottery’s quality greatly. My Pfaltzgraff collections include Naturewood, Grapevine, Merlot, and in the past Tea Rose. Naturewood as the “good” china, Merlot as the everyday wear and tear, and Grapevine when we feel like it.
Naturewood is by far the largest collection in this house though. We have collected Naturewood for the past 10 years, it was our choice of china for our wedding registry. The collection is large and extensive and has influenced the decor of the dining room for years. I love our Naturewood… but as I said in the beginning of this post our home has evolved and it’s time to move with that evolution.
Moss Rose For a very long time a beautiful collection of Moss Rose China has graced the Kitchen Hutch. I used to be huge into Shabby Chic and Teacups. And even though my style has changed… the Moss Rose stayed and outlived all the other changes. When I ran across that Folk Art Pitcher and Bowl at the Thrift Store… I knew it was time to say good bye to my fine china.
0908260005
I decided to pack up the Moss Rose to make room to move in the Naturewood collection so I could have the dining room Hutch for Folk Art. (Mind you at this point I only had one piece of Folk Art… but I had a plan!) Bye bye to the pretty Moss Rose!

Now it was time to move the Naturewood from the Dining room to the kitchen hutch. It was here in the Dining room…
0908260010
(Note the green walls inspired by the Naturewood! Pretty before… not so matchy now!)
0908260018
And I moved it to here…

0908260030
Better!
0908260027
Now… back to the point of these two major changes!
Folk Art!
I had looked on Craigslist and by sheer chance guess what I found?!?! Two… count them… two… complete sets. The first a 138 piece set and the second a 76 piece set. I made an offer for both. The first lady called me within five minutes and we worked out a deal! After a 3.5 hour round trip drive with hubby in tow, we picked it up the next day. Woot! I was on my way! The second lady really tried to stick it to me (I can’t blame her!)… but I held firm to my original offer throughout 10 emails and almost 2 weeks and in the end it worked out for me. She finally gave it up at the price I was willing to pay. So I am now the proud owner of a phenomenally beautiful collection of Folk Art Pottery! And the best part… I have enough for both display and we are using it as our everyday dishes too! I love it!
So kind friends and fellow Folk Art lovers… let me leave you with the promise that the next post I share will be of my Folk Art so make sure you come back soon!
Until we meet again…
Carmen

8 comments:

Chatty Kathy~Palmetto Prims said...

Sounds like you got some great deals to buy two sets!! Can't wait to see the new look!!!

Raggedy Angel said...

Oh I am jealous....I deceided to start a collection and I don't even have one peice ....yet! Can't wait to see you show yours off!!!
Beth

Carmen S. said...

Oh those dishes are so wonderful Carmen! I love your beautiful cabinet and how you have them displayed:)I hope you have a wonderful day!!!

Black Sheep Lisa said...

Wow, you really hit the jackpot, cant wait to see!!

Wanda/Ridge Farm Nesting Place said...

Can't wait to see it! I went to the local flea market today and looked at a few pieces of Folk Art..I can see why you would want to change....I love it! You really did hit the jackpot and looking forward to your post!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I can't wait to see...I have about eight pieces...they are hard to come by but I always look at GW:)
Rondell

Janet, said...

If the folk art design is what the first picture is, I can see why you love it. I got a piece of PYREX the other day at a yard sale and the design on it looks very similar to folk art. Congratulations on getting them!

Anonymous said...

your dishes are beautiful I am sure :) Can't wait to see them! I picked up (4) pedestal mugs and 3 saucers at Salvation Army yesterday, I was so excited!