Thursday, May 20, 2010

Favorite paint? and dining rooms half way there…

Hubby and I painted the top half of the dining room cream last night. Sorry… no pics yet. We were so tired when it was done.  The color is great!! I’m very happy with how it looks so far. I unfortunately need to go get another gallon of cream as the green is still peeking through even after two coats. Boo! I’ll run and get that tonight. Doubt I get it painted though so the house is just going to have to stay torn apart for a few more days because we have big weekend plans which I’ll post about later. 

Paint. Ahhhh Paint. It can be great or it can suck. For the first time I bought Pittsburgh Paints Paint from Menards. I’m usually a Sears Easy Living Paint girl… mostly because for the last 15 years that is what was closest to our home and honestly I love how the paint lays down. I have never had a problem with it. But our local Sears Hardware went out of business and now it’s closer for me to drive to Lowes or Menards. I went with Menards because I’ve always heard great things about Pittsburgh paints.

Well… my review is this… It sucks! It’s super thick and gooey and stringy and even though it’s thick it does NOT cover in one coat. Even if you were painting light color over light color it STILL would not have covered it. Also, it’s so thick that it takes way to long to dry. I’m used to making one pass around the room and then starting my second and final coat as soon as I’m done with the first. That did NOT happen. The paint was still goopy and wet on the wall and we had to wait almost an hour in between to start the second coat. The long dry time also caused problems with the edging. We edged but then as we rolled it was taking the paint back off. Not good. And big bummer because all that meant we didn’t get done til late.

2 Thumbs down to Pittsburgh Paints.

So… my question to you is this… What is your favorite paint brand , why do you like it so much and where do you get it?

Have a great day friends!

Carmen

5 comments:

Tiff said...

Sorry you had bad luck with the paint. My favorite paint is Old Village paint(http://www.old-village.com/), I get it at my local Ace hardware store. It's pricier than most paints, but I love the colors and it covers so well. If I'm painting large rooms, my 2nd favorite is Behr paint that I get at Home Depot.

Can't wait to see pics of your finished dining room.

Carmen S. said...

Hi Carmen, can't wait to see the room all done! I usually buy dutch boy at walmart, but colors can be tricky, I once picked out a cappuccino that looked tan and in MY livingroom with the light coming in it had a hideous pink tint:( Needless to say, the room got re-painted a year later, LOL!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I love valspar..I hate Behr..get it at lowes..:)

A Primitive Homestead said...

Ultra Premium Valspar from Lowes. I needed paint to cover the kitchen closet door and the peg rack we did in a post. The trim and bead board was done a few years ago. I took the old can and after all this time they could still match the color. Saved lot of extra painting for us. Easy to work with and little odor.

adsgram said...

We used the new Behr with primer for the kitchen cabinets. The guy who painted them for us raved about the coverage and the paint itself. It looks good and I have no problem with it so far. (Home Depot....)

Lynne
dlynne172@yahoo.com