Monday, May 17, 2010

Dining room paint colors and chair molding height question?

I’ve finally narrowed down and chosen my paint colors for the dining room.

Here is the before Green paint that went with my Pfaltzgraff Naturewood dishes.

0909090111 

And I’ve chosen two new shades to go with my Folk Art. Cream on top, blue on bottom with a wood chair rail in the middle. I’ve never done a split color so I’m looking forward to it.

0513002025a

My question is this… what is recommended chair rail height?

Thanks,
Carmen

4 comments:

Carey's Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Carmen,

That's gonna be great with folk art, I have no idea about the height though. I'm sure that someone will know!

Carey

Anonymous said...

Carmen, I don't know if this is true but someone once told me that the recommended height for chair railing is where the top of you chair stops. I guess that is why they call it chair railing but I don't know how true that is. I have two colors in my living and kitchen but it is seperated by border. However my bathroom has chair railing and the top of my chairs do hit the railing...I hope this helps good luck! Maybe you can google it! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Carmen, it's me again! ok so I googled it for you I know I am nerd...LOL! So by the DIY network to determine the height of the chair rail, measure the height of the ceiling and divide it by three. The general rule is that the chair rail should be about 1/3 of the way up from the floor (between 32" and 36" for an 8' ceiling) or you can also slide a chair up to the wall and mark where it would hit the wall. ( who knew...)

Carmen and the Primcats said...

LOL. Duh... put the chair against the wall and mark it!!!! You would have thought I could have come up with that. LOL! Thanks!